You only need five ingredients and a few minutes of your time.
The humble graham cracker is such an unassuming little snack but it can do so much. S’mores, anyone? Icebox Cake? They’re so versatile and can transform into so many things and here they become a sweet and salty treat that’s encased in toffee and pecan flavor and more reminiscent of candy bark than a cracker. They’re Toffee Graham Cracker Squares, and they’re as easy to make as they are irresistible.
You only need five things to make these. (Six if you count salt. But I count that as more of a mainstay like water or air.) Those things are: graham crackers, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and pecans. You might even have all of those things in your pantry or fridge right now!
You’ll want to line a baking sheet with foil for this as things get a little sticky. Then, just line up graham crackers in a single layer across that baking sheet — it’s okay if you need to break some apart. Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan until it’s bubbly and the sugar has dissolved and then stir in the vanilla and salt and pour it allllllll over those crackers. Pecans get sprinkled on top.
What happens then? Well, that hot butter and sugar toffee mixture sinks down into the crackers as you bake it and later as it sits it hardens into a nice snappy texture so once you get to the point where you’re breaking these apart, you’re not sure if you’re dealing with candy or cracker. And if you’re asking me, that’s a pretty tasty line to be walking.
Toffee Graham Cracker Squares
15m prep time
10m cook time
- 1 1/2 sleeves graham crackers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 10x15 inch baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange graham crackers in a single layer on prepared pan, breaking crackers as needed to create a single layer.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and sugar until dissolved. Cook until mixture begins to boil, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour over graham crackers, then spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle pecans over the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until mixture is bubbly.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Ripped Jeans and Bifocals.