If you’re looking to mix up your breakfast routine then we have just the thing! This homemade Toasted Coconut Spread couldn’t be easier to whip up and it is bound to be your new favorite snack. schmear it on toast, scoop it up with apple slices, or sneak some by the spoonful. There’s no wrong way to enjoy this stuff! If you’re a coconut fan then this sweet and nutty recipe is a must-try. Let’s get into how it’s made…
The most important part of this recipe just might be picking the right coconut. You’ll want to go with flakes that are unsweetened and the bigger the better. Avoid using the shredded flakes you’d find in the baking section of the store. Start things out by spreading the flakes on a cookie sheet and toasting for about 5 minutes. Watch them closely as they can go from golden to burnt in the blink of an eye.
Allow the toasted flakes to cool briefly and then add them to your food processor with a handful of cashews, a dab of coconut oil, and the seasonings of your choice. Adding a sweetener is optional and you can always taste as you go. Keep the spread in an airtight container and enjoy whenever a craving strikes!
Toasted Coconut Spread
Makes 25 servings
10m prep time
5m cook time
- 10 oz unsweetened coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional additionions: cinnamon, cardamon, maple syrup, honey, etc
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread coconut flakes into an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Toast coconut for 4-6 minutes or until tops are golden, watch closely.
- Allow coconut to cool for several minutes, then add it to the bowl of a food processor with the cashew, coconut oil, sugar, salt, and additions of your choice.
- Process mixture until your desired consistency is achieved (don’t worry if it seems too liquidy, it will solidify as it sets).
- Transfer butter to an airtight container for storage.
Recipe adapted from Thehealthyfoodie.com