Pulled pork is one of our favorites, especially in the summer time! And with so many different recipes and barbecue sauces out there, it’s nice to have a recipe on hand that’s easy!
That’s why we’re happy to let our friend Dr. Pepper to do some of the work for us. All you need to do is rub down your pork shoulder, chop some onions, and let the good doctor do the rest! This recipe is a real crowd pleaser and sure to impress people when you tell them how your pork became so rich and sweet. Grab a bun and dig in!
Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
- 4-4 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, cut in half, if necessary
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 12 ounce can of Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (to taste)
- Combine paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix together.
- Rub the outside of the pork shoulder with your dry ingredients.
- Peel and slice your yellow onions and put them into your slow cooker.
- Put your pork shoulder into your slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Pour Dr. Pepper over your pork and onions.
- Cook on low heat for 7 hours. Shred pork with a fork and then let it finish cooking in its juices for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add additional 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce if desired.
- Serve on a bun and then you’re done!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies