Because the best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers.
Some people say that leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving. (Spoiler alert: It’s me. I am those people.) There are few things better than a big ol’ sandwich stuffed with all the components of the feast from the day before. These sliders embody that fact, but do it in a way that makes it easy to feed an entire crowd with a leftovers craving. They’re shareable, easy to make, and so very yummy!
One great thing about these is that you can even make them ahead if you need to. (If you have any desire to spend more time in the kitchen on Thanksgiving, that is.) You can put them together, cover them in foil, pop ’em in the fridge overnight and just bake them the next day when you’re ready. Or you can assemble them right before you’re ready to bake. So much versatility. Here’s how you do it:
You start with a 12-pack of rolls – sweet Hawaiian or dinner rolls work well – and you slice them in half, leaving the rolls attached. The bottom section goes into a baking dish and gets slathered with mayo…
Then, they get layered up with turkey, cranberry sauce, a little bit of provolone cheese…
…and of course some stuffing. Because what would a leftovers turkey sandwich be without some stuffing?
What makes these a little extra special is the garlicky butter that gets brushed over the top of the rolls. When they head into the oven to bake, that butter sinks in and flavors the soft roll but helps the tops of the rolls get just a little crisp.
When they come out, they’re hot and irresistible and ready to pull apart and serve. It might seem sad that there’s not room for all the leftovers on these rolls, but the sweet, salty, savory mayo-turkey-cranberry-stuffing combo is the best Thanksgiving combo we know of. And the green bean casserole is probably best left to stand on its own anyway.
Thanksgiving Leftover Pull-Apart Sliders
Serves 6; 30 minutes
- 1 12-pack pull-apart rolls, Hawaiian or dinner style
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 12 slices turkey
- 2 cups prepared stuffing
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and slice rolls in half, without separating the rolls from each other. Brush insides of rolls with mayonnaise and place bottom section of rolls in a large baking dish.
- Layer rolls with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and cheese. Place top section of rolls on top.
- Mix together melted butter and garlic powder and brush over the top of the rolls. Sprinkle with salt and bake until buns are crispy and golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, then slice, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Fox and Briar.