We absolutely love a good coleslaw; crisp cabbage tossed in a cool creamy dressing is the essence of summertime eating. As a side dish or a topping to a pulled pork sandwich or barbecue ribs, coleslaw paired with savory meats, especially ones right off the grill, is a match of contrasts that work well together. As much as we love a traditional coleslaw recipe, there’s something to be said for changing up the old routine and trying something new. Fresh and new is exactly what we get with this Thai peanut dressing.
Fixing a colorful plate is an easy way to work on healthier eating choices, and we love the combination of red and green cabbage along with sweet red bell peppers; these veggies are hearty and bright and stand up well with the sweet and salty peanut butter and soy sauce dressing. Lime juice adds a citrusy brightness and if you’re someone who likes a little heat, consider tossing in a dash of sriracha. This coleslaw does is great as a side dish, but we like to serve it up as a whole meal by topping it with grilled chicken.
This particular coleslaw is one way to keep a classic dish but turn it into something new. Packed with great flavor and a hearty crunch, our Thai peanut coleslaw is familiar enough to satisfy and different enough to keep things fresh. Make this with fresh cut red and green cabbage, or grab a ready-made bag at the grocery store for ease of preparation. We love to make food that looks and tastes good, and for that reason, we love the bright colors and flavors in this Thai peanut coleslaw.
Thai Coleslaw With Peanut Dressing
15 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 small lime
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, garnish
- Combine cabbage mix, bell pepper, onions and cilantro into a bowl.
- Whisk peanut butter, the juice of 1 lime, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, oil, garlic and ginger until combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour dressing over top of salad, toss to combine. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy