It’s good to have veggies at every meal, but it’s sometimes tricky to come up with different variations of the same vegetables night after night. We happen to love spinach, it’s so good for you and thought we’d share one of our favorite ways of serving it: in a creamy, cheesy sauce. Packed with iron, calcium and vitamin A (among many other vitamins), you get great flavor and tons of nutrients with this dish! Try this next time you’re aiming to switch up your side dish game and see just how great it is!
Parmesan Creamed Spinach
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 (10 oz.) packages baby spinach, rinsed, dried and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat and add garlic, cooking for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in the same pan and, once melted, add flour. Stir constantly until you’ve formed a thick paste.
- Slowly add milk to paste and whisk until it smoothes out into a creamy sauce. Stir in Parmesan cheese and mix until completely melted, then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add chopped spinach to the sauce and stir well to coat each piece. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and sauce has thickened.
Recipe adapted from Huffington PostSKM: below-content placeholder