Tasty Seafood Recipe: Crispy Fried Popcorn Shrimp
Fried and flavorful, bite-sized morsels: even if you’re not a big fan of seafood, this recipe is delicious! There’s something about these crunchy-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside shrimp that we can’t get enough of. This dish is a restaurant favorite that we decided to tackle at home, and it’s not hard at all to recreateand who doesn’t love easy, assembly-line preparation? If you’re looking for a fun meal that deviates from your normal lunch or dinner routine, give this one a try; it’s sure to please the whole family!
- 1 pound small shrimp, rinsed and peeled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- vegetable oil, for frying (4-6 cups)
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne, oregano, thyme, pepper and brown sugar together. Sift all dry ingredients so they’re well combined. This is your shrimp seasoning.
- Place flour in a separate bowl and add 2 teaspoons of seasoning. Mix well.
- In a third bowl, combine beaten eggs with heavy cream.
- Combine breadcrumbs with remaining seasoning and toss to mix together.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot to 360º F and prepare a paper towel-lined plate to drain the shrimp.
- Take rinsed and peeled shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. In batches, dredge your shrimp in flour mixture and shake off excess, then dip in beaten eggs.
- Shake off excess egg and press shrimp firmly into seasoning, making sure to coat each shrimp completely.
- Carefully place shrimp in frying oil and cook for 2 minutes, flipping in the middle, until golden brown. Remove shrimp from oil with a slotted spoon and place on towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve immediately with lemon and (optional) cocktail sauce.
Recipe adapted from Copy Kat
SKM: below-content placeholder