Try this tasty fall twist on carrot cake!
Everyone has their favorite dish at Thanksgiving. I’m always a fan of green bean casserole, but it’s the sweet potato casserole that really makes the meal. You know what I’m talking bout. The dessert parading around as a side dish, piled high with marshmallows and dripping with brown sugar sauce.
It got me to thinking. Why don’t we have many sweet potato desserts? The winning combo of sweet potatoes and marshmallows has been proven time and time again, and it’s certainly no different with this recipe.
Sweet potatoes might not be the first thing you think of when you hear the word cake but stick with me here. I think you’re going to love this dense, moist cake full of autumn flavors and sweet goodness. It’s akin to a carrot cake, but I might like this sweet potato version better!
Similar to carrot cake, the cake part is dense, spiced, and not too sweet. Also like carrot cake, it’s the frosting that steals the show. This marshmallow buttercream is so simple to make and it compliments the moist, savory cake perfectly.
All in all, this recipe is pretty simple. You’ll mix your dry ingredients separately from your wet ingredients, then combine the two. Next fold in 3 cups of shredded sweet potatoes (typically 1-2 sweet potatoes) and pecans. Pour the batter into a greased baking dish and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes.
Finally, whip up that sweet, sweet marshmallow buttercream! Combine butter, marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt. Spread over the cooled cake and top with more pecans. Trust me, you’re going to want to save this recipe!
Sweet Potato Cake With Marshmallow Buttercream
Makes 12 servings Prep 30m Cook 50m
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups grated raw sweet potatoes (1 to 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 (7-ounce) containers marshmallow cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl, set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until well just combined.
- Fold in sweet potatoes and pecans - reserving a few pecans to sprinkle on the top at the end.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth.
- Add marshmallow cream and mix until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and a pinch of salt and mix until combined.
- Spread the buttercream on the cooled cake and top with remaining pecans and a dash of cinnamon.
Recipe adapted from Southern Bite.