How good does a soup sound where you don’t have to cook a single thing? How about if you also barely have to chop a thing and it’s actually the blender that does all of the work? And what if it’s flavored by sweet corn, juicy summer tomatoes, and bright bell peppers? Well, that’s our Sweet Corn Gazpacho, my friends. It’s about as easy as a soup can get and that prep and the cool, fresh flavor are both mighty refreshing in the warmer months.
If you garden, this is the ideal thing to make at summer’s end when you are overloaded with tomatoes and corn. While any tomato will do here as far as flavor goes, yellow or orange varieties keep the golden hue of this soup on point. The corn and tomatoes are the most stand-out flavors here, but there’s also bell pepper, garlic, onion, white beans, olive oil, and some lemon juice and sherry vinegar.
The white beans add a velvety texture to the soup and also some protein so that it works as more of a meal than a side when you need it to, and the acidity in the lemon and sherry vinegar add a perfect little contrast to all the sweetness from the corn and tomatoes. And how to make it? It’s so easy…
You add the tomatoes, corn, peppers, onion, and garlic to a bowl, salt them liberally, and then let them sit for at least thirty minutes. Since you’re not cooking anything, that softens the flavors of the more pungent ingredients and draws out some of the juice so all the ingredients can really mingle. Of course, they all mingle further in the blender – the next step is just to add all your ingredients to the blender and blend until you reach the consistency you like. Then chill, and eat. You don’t have to touch a single oven or stovetop dial and you still get some amazing soup!
Sweet Corn Gazpacho
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 2 lbs yellow tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine yellow tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, onion, and garlic. Season with the 2 teaspoons sea salt and mix well. Let sit at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- Working in batches, blend the tomato mixture, olive oil, and beans in a blender until you reach the consistency you like.
- Stir in sherry vinegar, lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Endless Meal.