Super Healthy Snack Recipe: Low Calorie Berries & Oats Smoothie
Smoothies are a really great snack option because they’re delicious and portable, serving as a perfectly reasonable breakfast on the go or as an afternoon pick-me-up. However, it’s important to realize that, while smoothies seem like a healthy treat of blended fruit, a lot of them are filled with sugar and sweeteners. Thus, a calorie bomb is born.
The good news is that smoothies are a breeze to make at home and can serve as truly filling, healthy options to get you through the day. We chose oatmeal to add extra protein and fiber, and to thicken up this smoothiethicker is better, peoplewhen you try it, be prepared for the newfound energy kick and revel in this yummy discovery!
Berries and Oats Smoothie
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup frozen blackberries, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup instant oatmeal
- 1 cup almond milk (or vanilla almond)
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- In a blender, combine milk and instant oats. Pulse until smooth.
- Add blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and blend for 20 seconds. If mixture is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Add honey and orange zest.
- Optional: Add spinach, kale, bananas or plain, Greek yogurt to add extra nutrients and creaminess, and blend until smooth.