Everything we love about stuffed peppers in an easy casserole form!
First of all, how beautiful is this casserole? So often casseroles end up looking kind of bland, even though they taste incredible. There’s a reason we do so many casserole recipes here on 12 Tomatoes, after all. But this Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole is both delicious and colorful. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to throw together for a quick weeknight meal.
If you’ve ever had stuffed bell peppers, then you know how flavorful the dish is. Plus, it has an amazing crunchy texture to it that I just love. And let’s not forget about the cheese. The one downside to traditional stuffed peppers is that they can be kind of tricky to eat. That’s where the casserole version comes into play.
You’ll start by making the rice according to the package directions. While that’s cooking, toss some chopped onion into a skillet and sauté about 2-4 minutes. Next, add ground beef, cooking all the way through. Then add chopped bell peppers to the skillet, followed by tomatoes and other seasonings.
All that’s left to do is stir in the cooked rice and pour the entire mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. It’s really just as easy as that!
I love this casserole as is, but feel free to go crazy with the toppings. One way I like to serve this dish is with fresh bell peppers. It lends that same crunchy texture I love about the original recipe. You can also serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, salsa, or whatever your heart desires.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, delicious weeknight meal, then this is the recipe for you! Go ahead and check out the recipe below to get the ingredients and step-by-step instructions.
Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole
20m prep time
25m cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Set aside for later.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, add oil to a large skillet and sauté onion over medium heat until translucent (usually 2-4 minutes).
- Add ground beef to skillet, cooking until no red remains in the beef.
- Add bell peppers to the skillet and sauté until they soften (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in cooked rice, then immediately pour mixture into the prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve warm & enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Blue Cheese Bungalow.