Every year in summer 2 things that I love cooking with are strawberries and rhubarb and it’s even better if they’re in a recipe together. There’s something about this combination that’s just perfect. The sweetness of the strawberries balances the tartness of the rhubarb and it just tastes so fresh. And, these strawberry rhubarb blondies are no exception. They have a soft texture and tons of summer flavor.
To make this recipe is so simple. There are very few steps, which makes it a great dessert for busy days. To start this recipe you’ll cream together the butter, sugar, and egg.
In another bowl combine the dry ingredients. Then sift the dry into the wet ingredients. Stir in vanilla extract and then fold in the fruit pieces. You can use frozen rhubarb if you’re making outside of rhubarb season- just make sure to thaw and drain it before you add it to the batter.
Then bake for 40-45 minutes. The top will look a bit crackly and a knife inserted in the center will still come out slightly wet even when baked.
This vintage recipe is a bit unusual since the end result when these blondies are all baked up and ready is still on the moist side. This is thanks to all the fruit in the batter so don’t worry if they come out slightly gooey. For a drier blondie you can reduce the fruit by 1-2 cups, but there will be less of a fruity flavor if you do.
Cut into squares and serve with vanilla ice cream for a decadent treat. In the past my go-to summer dessert recipe has been strawberry rhubarb pie, but it does a take an awful lot of work. These strawberry rhubarb blondie bars are a much easier and simpler way to get your fix of this wonderful flavor pairing. And, these bars are yummy way to celebrate the flavors of summer.
Strawberry Rhubarb Blondies
Makes 12-16 bars
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups finely chopped rhubarb pieces (8-16 oz)
- 2-3 cups diced strawberries (8-16 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Cream together butter, sugar, and egg. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift dry ingredients into wet and stir until batter is uniform.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Fold in fruit and pour batter into 9”x9” greased baking pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set. Blondies will be slightly gooey when done. Slice into squares and serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Recipe adapted from Reddit.