When it comes to summertime dishes, for us, lemon is where it’s at. Whether it’s a perfectly tart, chilled lemon bar, or a slice of lemon meringue pie, we seriously can’t get enough of our favorite citrus…. Another one of our favorite things to enjoy during the sweltering summer months is lemonade, the inspiration for this dish. While we could make these classic lemon cookies, adding strawberry into the mix not only makes these cookies ridiculously cute (look at those pink and yellow swirls!), but also makes for the perfect flavor contrast. These cuties are perfect for a birthday party or barbecue, so get rolling, then throw them in the oven and enjoy!
Strawberry Lemonade Cookies
Serves 30-40 45 minutes
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box strawberry cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place lemon cake mix in one mixing bowl and strawberry cake mix in a second.
- To each bowl, beat in 2 eggs and 1/3 cup vegetable oil. Then, mix in 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to lemon cake mix, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to strawberry cake mix.
- Refrigerate batters for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly set.
- Once set, remove batters from fridge and take a small spoonful of strawberry batter and a spoonful of lemon batter and roll them each into a ball. Then, gently roll the two balls of batter together, until they make 1 ball.
- Repeat with remaining batter until all has been used.
- Place powdered sugar in a small, shallow dish and roll each cookie in sugar until lightly coated.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon