Creamy gnocchi gets added color and bite with these two vibrant vegetables.
We’ve got a great weeknight meal that is sure to satisfy everyone at the dinner table. We love the bright vegetables while everyone else says the gnocchi are the star of the show. And when a meal this good is done in 30 minutes, well…that’s a win-win all around! Here is a recipe that is simple in its list of ingredients, easy in its level of preparation, and it’s simply delicious to eat. The sweetness and slightly crisp texture of the vegetables paired against creamy gnocchi and covered in a light cheese sauce is a perfect combination in comfort and freshness.
A couple of store-bought short cuts makes this a recipe that is super easy to put on the table shortly after getting home from work. Packaged gnocchi are delicious little pillows of potato and are ready in just a few minutes. Peas and asparagus give a welcome dose of greenery into this meal. Peas bring a subtle sweetness and the firm bite of asparagus offers great texture; and with benefits such as fiber and protein, asparagus also helps to make this dish feel a little more filling. What brings everything together is a simple, yet light cream sauce, punctuated by a splash of lemon juice for a little extra zing.
One more way to pep up this dish is with red pepper flakes, which add a just a hint of heat and spice. We don’t usually go vegetarian for dinner, but this meal is so hearty, we don’t even miss the protein, although you could easily add chunks of cooked chicken if you’d like. Super simple ingredients help us put a meal on the table quickly, which is a plus for weeknight cooking. But we also like the combination of creaminess with the freshness of the vegetables. A weeknight dinner that is easy and delicious – yes, please!
Spring Veggie Gnocchi
Serves 4-6 20 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (16 oz) package gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup half-and-half
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: red pepper flakes, garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add olive oil and onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped asparagus and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add peas and gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour half-and-half and parmesan cheese into skillet and stir carefully to coat with cream sauce. Sauce is done when cheese has melted and cream sauce has thickened.
- Add lemon juice and toss before serving.
Recipe adapted from Delish Knowledge