Does it get more quintessentially summer than coleslaw or potato salads by the truckload?? Those cookouts and backyard barbecues mean plenty of potluck-style opportunities, but switch things up this summer and put our southwestern spin on the classic coleslaw. We’re not saying there’s not a time and place for the traditional version – we still love it, after all! – but pumping up the ingredients and the flavor is a great way to enhance this dish and make it unforgettable!
We used pre-shredded coleslaw mix instead of making our own – because who has time for that?? – and then we added in cherry tomatoes, corn, bell peppers and cheddar cheese. Instead of mayonnaise, we went with ranch dressing, but not just ranch dressing; lime juice and zest, cumin and chili powder help kick up the flavor and really make this southwestern-inspired dish.
When it all gets tossed together, this stuff is magical. Other coleslaws can sometimes end up bland and boring, filling out the food table, but not really standing out…thankfully, that’s not the case here. When we bring this to parties it always gets devoured – people love the twist on the traditional and we love being able to throw something together that’s quick and delicious and pretty healthy too!
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- fresh cilantro, optional, finely chopped, garnish
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl,whisk together ranch dressing, lime juice, zest, chili powder and cumin until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl and top with tomatoes, corn, bell peppers and cheddar cheese.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw and veggies and toss together to combine.
- Top with fresh cilantro, if desired, and let chill 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Hot Eats and Cool Reads