When you think of Spanish food many of us probably go straight to tapas. But, there are some incredibly tasty Spanish recipes to be found that don’t favor tiny portions shared around a table. Rather, this Spanish chicken recipe uses the time tested ingredients of cumin, smoked paprika, and chorizo to flavor the chicken. It all comes together beautifully on a single sheet pan for an easy meal that’s packed full of flavor.
It’s traditional to serve rice with this type of chicken but for ease we used potatoes here for a one-pan wonder that will have your mouth singing. If you want you can make some Spanish rice to go with this sumptuous chicken as well.
Thanks to the spices and baking method, this chicken turns out crispy on the outside and seasoned perfectly. Regular paprika will work if that’s all you have, but I highly recommend buying the smoked variety when you can. It offers so much more flavor in my opinion.
The spice-rubbed chicken goes in the oven first to make sure it’s properly cooked. Then the other elements are added to the pan over time so that each ingredient has a chance to bake to perfection.
The addition of red and yellow peppers to the pan gives a splash of color and the chorizo lends a deep richness to the dish that pulls all the ingredients together. This is one meal that you might just find you make on repeat- it’s that easy.
Sheet Pan Spanish Chicken
25m prep time
45m cook time
For the spice rub:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the chicken and potatoes:
- 6 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 1 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, pulse extra for greasing
- 2 bell peppers cored, sliced into strips
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Combine spice blend in a medium bowl. Spread on both sides of chicken.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil in a large bowl along with potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Grease a large sheet pan with olive oil. Place chicken on pan along with potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Add peppers to pan and bake for 10 minutes before adding chorizo and baking for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with rice if desired.
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo.