French toast is a staple in so many households and it’s easy to see why. Custardy, doughy and sweet, it feels like a breakfast indulgence. We love it so many ways – topped with berries, stuffed with cream cheese, dusted with a splash of cinnamon – but we’re still always looking for new ways to put a delicious spin on this breakfast classic. This Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole adds some sweet and tender apple flavor to the mix and saves you time in the kitchen with the preparation method.
Making a casserole of French toast makes it really easy to get breakfast on the table. There’s no need to fry each piece of bread individually – you just throw it all in a casserole dish and set it in the oven to bake. Your whole house will smell amazing, and you don’t have to slave over the stove. You can even get everything in your casserole dish the night before, cover it with foil, and let it chill in the fridge overnight, and then just pop it in the oven first thing in the morning. Easy dishes that taste this good… well, that’s our idea of a great breakfast.
Apple French Toast Casserole
Serves 6-8; 1 hour
- 10 cups crusty French bread, cubed
- 2 cups apples, peeled and cubed
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- caramel topping, as needed
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with bread cubes and top with apples. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and apple pie spice until smooth. Pour egg mixture over bread and apples.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 45-60 minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce and chopped walnuts (if using) before serving. Enjoy!