Baked potatoes are a classic comfort food and one that is guaranteed to please in our house. We especially love twice baked potatoes, with all their toppings, like melted cheese, sour cream, and bacon…tons and tons of bacon. We’ve got a casserole version of our favorite twice baked potato recipe that is comfort food at it’s finest.
Just about any potato will do, but we like to use red potatoes here, with the skins on to really stay true to the twice baked potato experience. Roast or boil the potatoes, then let them cool slightly so they’re easier to handle. The diced potatoes are the base layer for this amazing casserole. We add layers of flavor with bacon, sour cream, and two different kinds of cheese, then repeat until all ingredients are used. A few minutes in the oven will bring all of this together into a meal that brings everyone to the table in a hurry.
There’s nothing better than comfort food after a long hard day. I don’t know what exactly it is but there is something to be said for. I could chow down on a plate of this double baked cheesy ANY day. With just a few simple ingredients, this twice baked potato casserole makes the perfect side to any dish! Spice it up and add some of your favorite meat to it and make it a meal all on its own!
Double Baked Potato Casserole
Serves 6 1 hour
- 6-8 red potatoes, baked
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1 ¾ cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ¾ cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut baked potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Transfer cubed potatoes to prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and ½ of bacon over top of potatoes.
- Add 1 ½ cups sour cream to top and spread evenly. Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat sour cream and cheese layer with remaining toppings.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until cheeses are completely melted. To serve, garnish with sliced green onions.