Like most foodies out there, we love a good chicken parmigiana. AND we love a good pizza. So why not combine the two? And before you can balk, we promise this mash-up works. It’s a great lower carb alternative that satisfies two major Italian food cravings at once. (And it’s easy to make. Take a look.)
The “crust” here is made up of chicken, but it’s breaded and pan-fried so that it gets nice and crispy before it’s topped with marinara, mozzarella, and parmesan. We top the whole thing off with some pepperoni, because, well it is pizza after all, and then it goes under the broiler until the cheese is irresistibly bubbly and melty.
The end result is a delicious dish that hits the notes of both pizza and parmigiana. It’s a cravings-killer but doesn’t feel too heavy. And if you ask us, it’s a pretty clever way to get pizza night in when you’re watching your carb intake.
Chicken Parm Pizza
Serves 2-4; 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flake
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chicken and spices until well combined. Using a cake or pie pan lined with plastic wrap, shape the chicken into a circle. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer until solid.
- Once chicken is fully frozen, set up breading station. Add eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs to separate shallow dishes, and then dredge frozen chicken in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Add enough oil to coat the bottom of a large pan by a 1/4 inch and heat over medium heat. Once oil is hot, cook chicken until golden brown, flip, and cook other side until golden.
- Place chicken on baking sheet or pizza pan, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni.
- Place in oven under broiler on high, and let cook until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool five minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!