The chiles in this add the perfect amount of kick – not too spicy or too bland!
Chile rellenos are a go-to for us when we’re getting Mexican food, but can be a little bit involved when you’re making them at home. Fret not though, we decided to take all the traditional elements of said classic, and turned them into a light, flavorful soup that is a great go-to when temperatures start to drop. Filled with chicken and lightly roasted poblanos, this creamy dish will make any night better!
Did we mention this was a slow cooker recipe? That’s right, your night just got even better, because why stand over a hot stove after a long day when you could just dice everything up and then pop it in the slow cooker?! After turning that thing on, grab yourself a glass of wine and relax until dinner time…that’s what we did and let us tell you, it was lovely. This cheesy, zesty soup hits the spot, so bust out your slow cookers and give it a shot!
Chicken Chile Relleno Soup
Serves 6 20 minutes active; 2-3 hours inactive
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (32 oz.) box low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz.) box cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (1 bunch)
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 poblano peppers, seeds removed, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place chopped poblanos on a large baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly charred.
- Transfer poblanos to slow cooker, along with chicken, onion, garlic and chicken broth.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then add cumin and bay leaves.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 6-8, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves, then shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Combine cheddar cheese and cream cheese in a large bowl and mix until softened and combined. Optional: add 2 ladles of soup mixture and blend until smooth, then stir mixture back into slow cooker soup.
- Pour mixture into serving bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker