A little bit sweet, but with just the right amount of zing to it. I made a big batch of this last week and am still looking forward to having it for lunch!
We’ve tried (what feels like) every variation of slow cooker pulled pork, but this stuff blew us away. Everyone loves a good sweet and sour combo, so we wanted to come up with something using honey, and then figured adding balsamic vinegar would strike the perfect balance, so our pork would be a little bit sweet, but with just the right amount of zing to it.
Let us tell you: this recipe uses A. LOT. of balsamic vinegar, which seems really overpowering while it’s cooking, but trust us, the end result is seriously amazing. If you lean down into the saucepan while making the balsamic reduction and feel your nose burning, you’re doing everything right. We made a big batch of this last week and are still looking forward to it for lunch, so grab your slow cookers and get cooking!
Honey Balsamic Pulled Pork
Serves 8 30 minutes active; 5+ hours inactive
- 2-3 pounds boneless pork roast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- burger buns, optional
- Place pork roast in the bottom of your slow cooker. In a medium bowl, whisk together water, seasoned salt and garlic powder. Pour mixture over pork.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 4-5).
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, combine minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce and onion powder in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk everything together, then bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until thickened and able to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once desired doneness is reached, remove pork from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Drain cooking liquids from and return pork to slow cooker, then stir in 1/2 honey balsamic sauce.
- Serve, garnished with extra sauce, with burger buns. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Rebel