Grilled cheese is just about as good as it gets in terms of comfort food. Hot, melted cheesy sandwiched in-between buttery bread is our definition of heaven, and anything else on top of that is just an added bonus.
While we love the standard, we decided to try an amp-ed up version of the classic using marinated cheese, fresh tomatoes and homemade garlic butter. The result is to die for! It’s easy to flavor your cheese at home or find it in the grocery store, and it takes this dish to a whole new level. For lunches when you need a pick-me-up or casual dinners where you still want to feel like you made an effort, try this grilled cheese it’ll make your day!
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices wholegrain bread
- 1 pound marinated mozzarella cheese (store-bought or homemade*), sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium-high heat and add crushed garlic. Stir continuously so garlic doesn’t burn.
- Once melted, pour butter in a small bowl and set aside. Return pan to heat.
- Butter 1 side of four pieces of bread and place, butter side down, in the pan. (You may have to do this in batches of 2.)
- Lay slices of cheese on the bread, then top with diced tomato. Cover with second piece of bread and brush garlic butter on the top.
- Once bottom of bread is golden brown and cheese has started to melt, flip sandwich over to grill the other side. (4-6 minutes total.)
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.
*Note: Marinated mozzarella is mozzarella that has been soaked in Italian dressing for a short or long period of time. You can make it at home by placing your cheese in a bowl with 1-2 cups dressing and refrigerating it for 2-6 hours, or overnight.
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh CookingSKM: below-content placeholder