If there’s one baked good that just about everyone can get on board with, it might have to be banana bread. I don’t think I’ve ever met a soul who didn’t love it. I mean, what’s not to love about a perfectly moist and flavorful slice of cake that you can get away with calling bread (and therefore eat for breakfast with minimal guilt). I’m typically partial to chocolate chip banana bread, but when I heard about this salted caramel spin I knew I had to give it a go.
Bananas and caramel are nothing short of a match made in heaven in most scenarios and this recipe is no exception. Don’t be intimidated by the sound of a homemade caramel glaze, the recipe we went with here is surprisingly easy to whip. You’ll start by bringing butter and brown sugar to a boil and cooking until the sugar has fully dissolved. From there, you’ll just need to mix in the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and salt (the crucial part of a salted caramel!). Let the glaze cool for a few minutes before pouring it over your loaf. Whether you want to remove your loaf from the pan before glazing it is up to you!
The balance of sweet and salty in this recipe truly strikes perfection. Enjoy with a cup of coffee at breakfast or grab a slice after dinner to satisfy your sweet tooth. There’s no wrong time when it comes to banana bread. I hope you love this salted caramel version as much as we did!
Salted Caramel Banana Bread
Yields 1 loaf
15m prep time
1h cook time
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x5 baking dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter until creamy and then add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the sour cream, mashed bananas, and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. While bread is cooling, make the glaze.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter and bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking until the sugar has fully dissolved, approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in heavy cream and remove the pan from the heat. Add in the powdered sugar and salt, mix until smooth.
- Allow glaze to cool for 5 minutes before pouring it over the bread.
Recipe adapted from littlesweetbaker.com/salted-caramel-banana