Creative Salad Recipe: Caramelized Pear Salad
Today’s recipe takes one of our favorite fruits- a pear- and puts it in a salad to mix together some bold sweetness with soft acidity. The bitterness of the greens and the crunchy, flavorful walnuts make a complex, yet well-rounded dish. To add a sweet special touch to the recipe, caramelize the pears in a skillet with some sugar. Top this salad with a homemade vinaigrette to really finish it off. Scroll below for this simple, delicious recipe…
Caramelized Pear Salad
(makes 6-8 servings)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 firm, ripe pears peeled, quartered, cored, and cut into eigths
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 8 cups mixed greens (I like spinach and endive, but feel free to experiment for your own taste)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the pears and sugar, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally.
- When the pears are tender and slightly caramelized (about 5 to 6 minutes) remove from heat and let cool on a plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegars, shallots, and honey.
- Add the oil in a steady stream and whisk until emulsified.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper, then transfer to a serving container.
- In a large bowl, combine the mixed greens and red onion, then divide out among plates. Place pear slices on top, sprinkling with walnuts and cheese. Lightly drizzle with dressing or serve dressing on the side.
Recipe adapted from the Food NetworkSKM: below-content placeholder