When you can’t decide what to make for breakfast, eggs, bacon, home fries, why not just mix everything together and call it a day? Grab your skillet and all your breakfast favorites, and satisfy all those cravings in a single dish.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s pretty versatile if you don’t like sunny side up eggs, then beat the eggs and add them to the skillet after you’ve cooked the bacon and potatoes (it’ll end up more like a frittata). Vegetarian? Skip the bacon or use vegetarian bacon as a substitute. Want more veggies? Go for it! Tomatoes and green chilies would be great additions.
Some people call it a skillet, some people call it a scramble– we just call it delicious!
Breakfast Skillet with Diced Red Potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 3/4 lbs. bacon, cut into one-inch pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle of fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon for about 5 to 7 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally until crisp.
- Add the potatoes and peppers to the skillet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are golden-brown.
- Remove the bacon and potato mixture from the skillet, and set aside.*
- Break the three eggs into separate parts of the skillet and let them cook for 1 minute (do not stir them).
- Spoon the potato and bacon mixture around the eggs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover for 1 minute, cooking until the egg whites are set and the cheese is starting to melt.**
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
*If you want to use beaten eggs instead, leave the potato mixture in the skillet and add the eggs, reduce the heat to low, and let it cook covered for 8 to 10 minutes until the eggs are firm.
**For the beaten egg version, still add the cheese and cover for a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
Recipe adapted from Betty CrockerSKM: below-content placeholder