A unique trio of add-ins makes for an ideal chewy-crispy cookie!
It doesn’t have to be all chocolate chip all the time, you know. There’s room for SO many more cookies in your life, like these Ranger Cookies, for instance. Ranger Cookies are a chewy-on-the-inside, crisp-on-the-outside cookie that are stuffed with buttery flavor and unique mix-ins that make for a delightful texture and taste. They’re not your average cookie – that’s for sure!
So what’s the secret to their greatness? There are a few. First, rolled oats lend chewiness to the buttery dough, but the key player here is the generous amount of rice crispy cereal. It keeps the cookies light and adds a delicious and delicate crunch.
But it’s not all about the rice crispies. There’s also butterscotch chips, and their rich and caramelly flavor is an ideal contrast to the airy crunch of the cereal.
Maybe what I’m saying is, the secret ingredient of these cookies is synergy. No one ingredient is king here – they all play off each other to make a perfect cookie balance.
And they’re easy to make! No chilling time, no rolling, no frosting to make… they’re the type of cookie you can whip up on a whim. And with the chewy but crisp, buttery but sweet thing they have going on, you’ll want to do it often.
yield 48; 15 minutes prep, 9 minutes cook time
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 cups crisped rice cereal, plus more for tops of cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and oats.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until incorporated. Stir in butterscotch chips and cereal.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Gently press some extra cereal into the top of each cookie, but try not to flatten them completely.
- Bake until very lightly golden, 7-9 minutes. These are best slightly underbaked but will set up as they cool. Let cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sweet Peas and Saffron.