Coconut can be a pretty polarizing flavor, but I personally cannot get enough of it! Cookies, cakes, candies– I’m here for all of it. One of my all-time favorites would have to be Coconut Cream Pie, and this version from Paula Deen is nothing short of a showstopper. With a smooth and velvety homemade coconut filling and a light and creamy whipped topping, this treat is nothing short of heavenly. It strikes the perfect balance of rich and yet somehow also light and airy. All in all, it’s a dessert that’s not to be missed!
The star of the show is undoubtedly the homemade filling. It’s made completely from scratch which is evident at first bite, this is the real deal. The custard base uses a whopping seven egg yolks and a full can of coconut milk so you know it’s going to be rich. Slowly cook the mixture over medium-low heat, carefully not to let it boil. Once it’s good and thick, remove the filling from the stovetop and stir in two cups of sweetened coconut flakes, coconut extract, and vanilla. The filling is then ready to be poured into the prepared cust and chilled until set. Top it off with the homemade coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut and this showstopper is ready to be served.
Since it’s made in a 9×13 inch pan this is the ideal dessert for feeding a crowd. Whether it be Easter dinner, a summer BBQ, or a family birthday, this Coconut Cream Pie is sure to be a hit. No one can resist a homemade treat this tasty so be ready for everyone to want seconds. Give Paula’s tropical-inspired recipe a try for your next special occasion and we’re sure you’ll love it just as much as we do.
Paula's Coconut Cream Pie
25m prep time
- 2 premade pie dough rounds
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ( X oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough into a rectangular shape and fit to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Crimp edges and pierce the bottom of the dough with a fork to prevent rising. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, add milk, coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture has thickened to a pudding consistency. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove filling from heat and stir in coconut flakes, coconut extract, and vanilla extract.
- Spoon filling into the pie crust and cool at room temperature for about 12 minutes. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and coconut extract until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on top of the coconut filling and sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut flakes.
Recipe adapted from Pauladeenmagazine.com