When it comes to after-dinner treats, there is one classic that always hits the spot: Tiramisu. This perfect, Italian dessert is a little cakey, a little creamy, and always has that amazing layer of coffee flavor added to the mix.
It’s a great cake to serve after a party when company has already had a good dinner and is just looking to sit down and have a good conversation. Keep reading below for our favorite tiramisu recipe…
- 2 1/2 cups strong black coffee, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 9 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2lbs mascarpone cheese (chilled below room temperature)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, cold
- 14oz hard ladyfingers (about 40-60 depending on size)
- 3 /12 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- Stir together coffee, espresso powder, vanilla extract, and 5 tablespoons rum in a wide bowl or baking dish until espresso dissolves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the yolks until just combined. Add sugar and salt and whisk together until a pale yellow, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons rum and beat until just combined. Add the mascarpone and continue to beat until no lumps remain.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream hard until the cream begins to hold stiff peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold one third of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture to lighten. Fold the remaining whipped cream into the mascarpone until there are no more white streaks.
- Working one at a time, quickly drop half of the lady fingers into the coffee mixture, roll, then remove and transfer them to a 9″x13″ baking dish. (Don’t submerge the ladyfingers. You want them to take in a little of the coffee mixture, but not drown in it. The coffee should coat the edges but not be soaked in to the middle. Arrange the cookies in a single layer in the baking dish, breaking or trimming the ladyfingers as needed to fit properly.
- Spread half the mascarpone over the ladyfingers, and use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture to the edges and corners. Place 2 tablespoons of the cocoa in a fine mesh strainer and dust the cocoa over the mascarpone.
- Repeat the dipping and arrangement with the remaining ladyfingers, mascarpone, and remaining cocoa. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Inspired TasteSKM: below-content placeholder