I was a pretty picky eater as a kid, yet even then I agreed that tomato soup and grilled cheese are a match made in heaven. Soup out of a can on its own might not be much to write home about, but paired with a perfectly gooey and crispy sandwich it’s elevated to a whole new level. If you’re a fellow fan of this combo then you are going to love today’s recipe. Mom’s Tomato Soup Dip takes all the flavors of the classic soup and sammy and turns them into a deliciously cheesy dip. We can’t get enough of it!
The best part about this recipe is that everything gets mixed together right in the baking dish. I opt for using an 8×8-inch pan, but a deep pie dish would also work. Start out by adding the tomato soup, crushed tomatoes, velveeta, and cream cheese to your dish and bake it for about 15 minutes to get the cheese nice and melty. Give the contents a good stir and add in 1 cup of the mozzarella, some basil and garlic powder for an extra flavor boost, and then sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella on top. Pop it back in the oven for about 20 minutes or until it’s good and bubbling, then it’s time to eat!
This dip is best served hot out of the oven for the ultimate cheese pull opportunities. Set it out with toasted baguette slices, bagel chips, or sturdy crackers, and let the crew dig in. For your next get-together, lean into the nostalgia and give this comforting recipe a try!
Mom's Tomato Soup Dip
5m prep time
35m cook time
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, drained
- 8 oz velveeta, cubed
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Toasted bread or crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In an 8x8-inch baking dish, combine tomato soup and crushed tomatoes.
- Place cubed velveeta and cream cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes, or until velveeta is soft.
- Mix in 1 cup of mozzarella, basil, and garlic powder and then top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 more minutes or until top is bubbling.
- Serve with toasted bread, bagel chips, or crackers.