Make extra of these bars…they go quick!
We know exactly how these bars got their name – they taste like a million bucks! The perfect buttery crust, filled with a deliciously salty, homemade caramel and then topped off with creamy chocolate…this treat is seriously the stuff dreams are made of. While we like to make our bars from scratch, you could easily take a few shortcuts (shortbread cookie crust, store-bought caramel, etc…). Regardless, the result is so, so yummy. If you like Twix bars or other chocolate, caramel candies, you (and everyone else) will go nuts for these!
Yield: 16-20 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil, making sure to leave a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse together. Add cubed butter and blend until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Gradually pour in 2 tablespoons cold water and pulse until dough begins to come together.
- Turn mixture out into lined baking dish and use your hands to press crust into an even layer.
- Use a fork to pierce the crust all over, then place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook condensed milk, butter, brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to a boil, continuing to whisk, and cook until caramel reaches 225º F or until mixture is a deep amber color.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and sea salt, then pour caramel over cooled shortbread. Set aside to let cool. (You could also store caramel in an air-tight container for later use.)
- For the chocolate topping, heat heavy cream (on the stove or in the microwave) until hot, but not boiling, then pour it over chocolate chips.
- Stir until totally smooth and mix in sea salt, then pour over cooled caramel.
- Refrigerate baking dish until chocolate is set, then cut into squares and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A ChefSKM: below-content placeholder