This post is brought to you by our friend, Alyssa, over at The Recipe Critic. Take it away, Alyssa!
We are officially in October and the weather has started to cool down a bit. I sure love this time of year. The leaves are changing and I can cozy up in an oversized sweater. My favorite thing about this time of year is the comfort food. I love making a hearty dish for the family. Meat and Potatoes with Veggies in a rich gravy sauce? What’s not to love?
As soon as school is back in session life seems to be so busy! I am all about easy weeknight meals. Time to bust out the skillets and make an easy and hearty meal. Shepherds Pie is such a delicious classic comfort food. There is nothing better than a beefy vegetable mixture topped with potatoes. We love this meal at our house and with the help of McCormick’s Simply Better Beef Gravy, this meal is taken to a whole different level of delicious!
I loved using this carton of gravy and it added such a rich and delicious flavor to the beef and vegetable mixture. You know that you can trust McCormick’s gravy to be absolutely delicious and made with their premium spices and no artificial flavors. It was the absolute perfect addition and made it even faster to get this meal on the dinner table!
HOW TO MAKE SHEPHERDS PIE
- You start preparing the meal by boiling sweet potatoes until fork tender.
- You brown the ground beef and onion, add some frozen mixed vegetables and easy pour the gravy in the skillet. Let that thicken up and top with your mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake it in the oven until heated through and broil the top to crisp the potatoes.
Not only will your family love this meal but its a total win for you because it is all made in one skillet! I love having less dishes to do on a busy school night. This is the perfect balanced meal in one that the entire family will go crazy for. You are especially going to love the gravy in this. Not only does it make a great additive to a recipe you are creating, it is also delicious by itself and perfect for when you want to simplify your life.
This meal is comfort food at its finest and it will become a new weeknight favorite!
Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
Time to prepare: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (12 ounce) McCormick Simply Better Beef Gravy
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large pot of water add sweet potatoes and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the water. Mash with the butter and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized skillet add the ground beef and onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook and crumble the beef until no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain the grease. Add frozen vegetables and beef gravy. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Spoon the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the mixture. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until heated throughout.
- Broil the top of the potatoes for 2-3 minutes until it has browned.
This post was sponsored by McCormick®. I love working with brands that I am passionate about and use in the kitchen for myself. All opinions expressed are my own.
Recipe from The Recipe CriticSKM: below-content placeholder