Sometimes people feel like they have to force themselves to eat salad and the salads in question just aren’t that appetizing. We’re happy to report that that is not the case with this one! This mandarin orange and spinach salad is really nice because it’s got zest and bite from the onions and goat cheese, while being complemented by the oranges and dried cranberries, which add a touch of sweetness. Spinach is great for you and dressing it up like this is fun because it makes your lunch or dinner interesting and you end up actually craving more of this light and healthy salad!
Mandarin Orange and Spinach Salad
- 6 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1-2 small red onions, sliced
- 1 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, oranges, onions, dried cranberries and almonds. Set aside. The juices from the oranges will release and help flavor the salad.
- In a separate bowl, start with the citrus juices and pour in the olive oil, then add in the champagne vinegar and honey. Make sure to mix well so that the dressing is well combined. Season with salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.
- Pour some of dressing over salad, reserving the rest of it for people to dress their own, and toss well. Add goat cheese crumbles and refrigerate for 20 minutes or serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Bare Feet in the Kitchen