We’ve got a healthy breakfast option for even the non-breakfast eaters.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but so often we pick a muffin on the go or just a cup of joe to start off our day. If you’re not the get-up-and-eat-breakfast type, we’ve got just the breakfast for you – a breakfast burrito, one that you can make ahead and freeze so it’s ready to eat when you are ready to eat. “Meal prep” is a term we see bantered about quite a bit these days, and it usually means finding creative ways to be smart about eating healthy or for putting good food on the table that is able to be “recycled” throughout the week. This recipe accomplishes just that with only thirty minutes of prep work on the weekend to feed you for an entire week!
You can put pretty much anything you want into these burritos – peppers, potatoes, veggies, and of course, eggs. That’s one of the best parts of this make-ahead meal: the fact that we can mix-and-match different ingredients means we’re never bored with our food. We went big on protein and veggies for this particular recipe; eggs and some pre-cooked sausages, a bit of cheese, and bright pops of color from red, green, and yellow bell peppers, punctuated by little bits of onion for a nice peppery bite. One thing that’s super important when it comes to these make-ahead meals is to make them flavorful yet simple, so they’re just as good to eat as they are easy to make.
Once the fillings are prepared, the next step is to fill and then wrap each burrito in aluminum foil, then pack the burritos into a freezer bag and labeled with ingredients and the date. Then, during the week, we can just reach into the freezer for a grab-n-go breakfast. Go ahead and get creative with your burrito ingredients to keep the meal varied and interesting – the only limit here is what your taste buds desire! As important as breakfast is, that doesn’t mean we all wake up ready for a big meal. Our make-ahead breakfast burritos are a flavorful, quick and easy solution to our breakfast needs!
Serves 8; 30 minutes
- 10-12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 package pre-cooked breakfast sausage links, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until scrambled, about 2 minutes.
- Add diced sausage to the eggs and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat and begin to build the burritos.
- Place tortillas on a large cutting board. Scoop 1 cup of the egg-sausage mixture into the center of the tortilla. Top with ¼ cup shredded cheese, 2 tablespoons diced bell peppers, and 1 tablespoon diced onion.
- Fold the top and bottom section of the tortilla up first to create a pocket. Then fold and roll the wings together to securely create the burrito.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in a freezer bag. Burritos will keep for 1 month. To reheat, unwrap the burrito and microwave for 5 minutes (rotating half way through).
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo.