A chicken salad sandwich always sounds good at the deli or sandwich shop, but what about when you’re right in your own kitchen? The ingredient list is pretty simple, and nothing beats a sandwich made on a flaky croissant.
Chicken salad sandwiches themselves generally fall into two categories you’ve got your sweeter versions with grapes and apples and cranberries, and you’ve got your more savory versions with mostly veggies. We’ve gone the latter route and stuck with vegetables, spices, and even the option for a mayo substitute if you’d prefer something a little lighter.
Feel free to accessorize with whatever extras you like tomatoes, avocados, mustard, hot sauce, it all tastes great with this simple flavor combo!
Chicken Salad Sandwich
Makes about 6 sandwiches
For the chicken salad:
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of paprika
For the rest of the sandwich:
- 6 croissants, cut in half horizontally
- Your favorite add-ons: mustard, tomato, avocado, etc. (optional)
- Prep the chicken however you’d like you can use rotisserie chicken or roast the chicken yourself. Just rub some chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, and pepper and let them bake on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Once the vegetables are all chopped, mix them together in a large bowl. Then, add the cooked chopped chicken and mayo/yogurt to the bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Add the salt, pepper, and paprika and mix well. Cover the bowl and let the mixture refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Serve the chicken salad in a croissant, atop lettuce (and your favorite toppings).
Recipe adapted from A Zesty BiteSKM: below-content placeholder