Eastern European Recipe: Cheese And Scallion Knishes
Knishes are typically an Eastern European food, primarily associated with Polish and Jewish traditions that are light, bite-sized, potato or meat or cheese-stuffed bits of dough. Whether or not you want to serve them along with a bevy of other Jewish dishes (latkes, we’re looking at you!) these savory pastries are outstanding!
Perfect for any holiday spread you ‘re putting together, or for if you ‘re going to someone else’s house for a party and want to show up with something a little more creative than wine, knishes are tasty and easy and a lovely departure from your normal holiday fare. Packed with yummy cheese, you can go wrong with these!
Yields 2 dozen
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz. farmer cheese (pressed cottage cheese curd)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Beat 2 eggs with salt, oil and baking powder, and slowly add in the flour. Add only enough to form a soft, non-sticky dough.
- Knead with your hands until dough is smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary. About 10 minutes.
- Turn dough out into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rest 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine farmer cheese, sour cream, egg and scallions, and season with salt and pepper. Mix until totally combined, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and roll out as thinly as you can. Cut into 3-inch circles, stretching the dough out so it keeps its shape.
- Spoon 1-1 1/2 tablespoons cheese filling in the center of dough rounds and fold the edges up to partially seal in the cheese. Press firmly to the dough stays sealed.
- Beat remaining egg with 1 splash water in a small bowl.
- Transfer knishes to a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with egg water and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from My Jewish LearningSKM: below-content placeholder