A quick and delicious dinner perfect for busy weeknights.
I think most of us can agree that it’s impossible to have too many chicken recipes. Especially when they are recipes that let you get a delicious dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes. That’s just the sort of recipe this Italian Chicken Skillet is – you get a full meal out of one skillet and it happens to be one that’s filling but healthy and super simple to make.
What we have here is chicken and veggies that simmer in a tomato and herb-kissed sauce and it all comes together in one pan. You start by browning the chicken on its own so that you can get some color on it without being crowded by the other ingredients.
The chicken hops out and the veggies hop in – onion, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes cook just long enough to soften.
And then fire-roasted crushed tomatoes and the chicken join the party and everything bubbles away until the chicken is moist but cooked through and the veggies have taken on that lovely bright tomato flavor. (And that only takes a few minutes.)
It’s the perfect weeknight meal – one that you don’t have to think much about or put much effort into and yet it always satisfies. We love to serve it over rice or pasta but it’s a well-rounded meal all on its own, so you don’t particularly need to add anything else to it. The combination of tangy tomatoes, earthy mushrooms, juicy zucchini, and tender chicken is all you need!
Italian Chicken Skillet Dinner
Serves 4; 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into tenderloins
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini, and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to pan and spoon some of the sauce over the top. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is cooked through. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Good Life Eats.