Can you have too many recipes for easy chicken dinners? I think not. So here’s a great one – with this particular recipe, you not only get delicious moist and tender chicken, you also get a savory brown gravy to spoon over whatever you see fit. (Side of mashed potatoes? Yes please.) And thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot, it’s all done in an incredibly easy hands-off fashion so it’s very little work for you even though there’s a ton of flavor.
To get all that nice savory flavor, you’re going to create a spice rub for the chicken. You just stir together some olive oil with some salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder and rub it into both sides of the chicken.
Then you’ll sear the chicken right in the Instant Pot (I love that feature!) to really lock in that flavor. You’ll then want to remove the chicken just for a quick second so you can deglaze the pot insert with some beer and scrape up any of those delicious stuck on bits.
You’ll want to use your Instant Pot trivet here so the chicken sits out of the water. That way it cooks through nicely but doesn’t become shredded chicken.
Once the cooking time is up, just stir a little cornstarch slurry into the liquid in the pot and let it saute until thickened and you’re ready to serve. It’s a no-fuss recipe, but it’s a super yummy one – the kind of easy chicken dinner you can always rely on when you’re short on time or inspiration.
Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy
Totally no-fuss. Totally delicious.
Serves 4 ; 5 minutes to prepare, 20 minutes cook time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup light beer or water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil with the salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Rub paste into both sides of chicken breasts.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and heat the remaining oil. Once hot, add chicken and brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add beer to pot, scraping up any browned bits. Place wire trivet in Instant Pot and place chicken on top of trivet. Hit the cancel button.
- Close lid and turn vent to sealing. Cook on Manual setting on High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cooking time is up, allow pressure to release naturally for 8 minutes before turning valve to Venting. Remove chicken and plate from pot.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water. Set Instant Pot to saute again and bring liquid to a simmer. Add water/cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over chicken. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Platings and Pairings.