Comforting Drink Recipe: Spiced Chai Tea Latte
Chai tea is a delicious, spiced tea that hails from India and is known as “masala chai”. It’s become super popular here, in the U.S. and we love getting them when the weather cools down. We can all agree that going to the coffee shop and indulging in a delicious coffee or seasonal drink can sometimes be the highlight of a busy day, but one thing we don’t like is seeing our bank account dwindle due to our caffeine addiction. In an effort to be a little more conscientious, we found out how to make our own chai tea lattes at home! And don’t forget the steamed milk it really brings the drink together!
Chai Tea Latte
- 2 individual tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups milk (skim or 2%)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour water into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add tea bags, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom and nutmeg, and bring to a boil.
- Add brown sugar and stir so it dissolves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour in 1 cup milk. Be careful, as mixture will froth and bubble up.
- Return to heat and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour tea through strainer into two mugs.
- Pour 1/2 cup milk into a microwavable, re-sealable jar and shake for 30-60 seconds, or until doubled in size from bubbles.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and spoon steamed milk into tea.
- Top with a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Recipe adapted from InstructablesSKM: below-content placeholder