Irresistably creamy and fresh.
For potato lovers there are any number of ways to make a tasty potato salad. Many of them do involve mayonnaise but there are a few recipes out there that don’t rely on this creamy French condiment. Another way to very easily create creamy dressings is to use tahini mixed with some lemon juice and oil or vegetable broth.
In this herbed tahini potato salad the fresh flavor really comes through in every bite- despite the fact that this isn’t the same potato salad that many of us are used to. Some might say it’s even better!
The fresh parsley, dill, and green onions in this dish add so much bright, herbal flavor to each bite. Without the vinegar of the mayo in the usual potato salad, the result is much creamier and fresher.
There’s both red and yellow potatoes in this recipe, but you can use one or the other if you have a preference.
The whole thing comes together very quickly after your potatoes cool, so you can certainly cook the potatoes and make the dressing ahead of when you need to eat. Then toss everything together just before serving.
Or you can assemble this salad and let it chill in the fridge until you’re ready for it.
This potato salad is a great make-ahead side dish and it goes with a variety of different types of meals. You can’t go wrong with a fresh and tasty recipe like this one.
Herbed Tahini Potato Salad
50m prep time
13m cook time
For the salad:
- 1 1/4 lbs red potatoes, chopped
- 1 lb yellow potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 diced green onions, divided
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes and salt in saucepan. Cover with water and bring to boil. Let cook for 10 -13 minutes or until just barely fork tender. Drain and place in clean bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour before assembling salad.
- In food processor combine dressing ingredients until smooth.Or use a stick blender. If too thick add tablespoon broth at a time until thinned.
- Add potatoes to large serving bowl. Pour dressing over potatoes and add half the green onions. Toss well to combine. Garnish with remaining green onions. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.