Hearty Vegetarian Recipe: Avocado Tofu Lentil Burgers
Vegetarian or not, these Tofu Lentil burgers are awesome! Tofu sometimes gets a bad rap for not being as flavorful as meat, and lentils are, at times, overlooked completely. We don’t know why that is, since they blend really well together and easily take on different, delicious flavors. Plus, anything paired with avocado is gold in our book. These burgers are a twist on a lunchtime staple, so if you’re looking for something out-of-the-box, that’s healthy and tasty to boot, definitely give these a try!
Tofu Lentil Burgers
(Serves approx. 5-6)
3/4 package (14 oz) extra firm tofu
2 cups canned lentils, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg yolk, beaten
2 cups cabbage, chopped, garnish
1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
olive/canola/vegetable oil, for frying
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 small red onion, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
mayonnaise, to taste
- Drain tofu by placing between several layers of paper towels and covering with a heavy object. Once dry, chop into cubes.
- Place tofu, drained lentils, carrots, egg yolk, bread crumbs, pepper flakes and 1 garlic clove in food processor. Pulse until semi-smooth.
- Form burger patties with 1/4 cup amount of tofu mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mash avocados with red onion, cilantro, 1-2 cloves garlic and salt and pepper. Taste and, if needed, add extra seasoning.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan. Once oil is hot, add patties and fry until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. 4-6 minutes.
- Spread avocado mixture on bottom of ciabatta rolls with mayo on top roll, add patties, garnish with chopped cabbage and enjoy.