After a long day at work or running errands, the very last thing I want to do is think about is what to make for dinner. And yet, the family still needs to be fed. That’s why I love having a few easy, one-pot dinners up my sleeve! Not only are the ingredients simple and delicious, but the meal comes together in a snap and only dirties up one pan! It doesn’t get much easier than that, clean-up included.
Just because this meal is easy, doesn’t mean it is bland! Not by a long shot. The sweet potatoes bring an earthy, slightly sweet taste, while the thyme and garlic add a depth of flavor. With a sprinkle of tangy and sweet dried cranberries, this meal is packed full of deliciousness!
Another reason I love this meal is that it’s filling as well as healthy. The ground turkey is a lighter, heart-healthy option over ground beef. And let’s not forget about kale! Sure, kale isn’t the most exciting food to eat all by itself, but when tossed with sweet potatoes and turkey, you’ll be surprised at how good it is! We all know kale is a superfood, which means it’s packed full of vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, calcium, and all sorts of good stuff.
This ground turkey sweet potato skillet is the trifecta of family dinners – easy, delicious, and healthy! What’s not to love? Go ahead and check out our easy-to-follow recipe below, and let us know what you think about this healthy meal option in the comments section!
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
Serves 4; 20min
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and a splash of water and cover skillet, cooking and stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender.
- Add kale, thyme, and garlic and cook until kale has wilted. Season to taste, top with dried cranberries, serve, and enjoy!