Stroganoff is simple, but there’s just something about the slight tang in that wonderfully creamy sauce that is unmatched. This baked version is just as easy, just as simple, and it still has that very same flavor, plus a melty cheese topping as an added bonus. Maybe stroganoff already counts as comfort food, but transforming it into a casserole ups the comfort factor considerably. Because there’s just nothing more comforting than a hot dish pulled right out of the oven, no?
To keep things extra easy, our version uses ground beef. I love sirloin steak for stroganoff, but ground beef cuts down on the cooking time and works really well in this casserole version. You just brown that up and remove it from the skillet before sauteeing some onions in a generous amount of butter.
Garlic and mushrooms go in next, and the mushrooms do a bang-up job of soaking up the butter flavor.
While the noodles boil in another pot, you build the sauce by stirring in some flour and then some beef broth and sour cream. Oh, and our version uses some cheese.
Because what’s a casserole without cheese?
You stir together the tender egg noodles, beef, and sauce and top it with a little more mozzarella so that when it heads into the oven you end up with an ooey-gooey melted cheese topping that’s crunchy around the edges in a way that only seems to highlight the soft and creamy mixture below.
A purely stovetop preparation of stroganoff is great – it always will be – but giving it all a chance to come together in the oven means that the noodles really take on that creamy, tangy flavor. They’re no longer just a vehicle for the sauce, with this bake, every bite is full stroganoff flavor through and through.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole
Serves 6; 40 minutes
- 8 oz dry egg noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook noodles one minute less than package directions call for.
- Add ground beef to a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Remove to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium. Add butter to skillet. Once melted, add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until softened, 3-5 more minutes.
- Stir in flour and let cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in beef broth, then use a spatula to scrape up stuck-on bits from bottom of pan. Let simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in sour cream, mustard, and half of the cheese. Let cook until sour cream and cheese have melted.
- Stir ground beef and cooked noodles into sauce and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, 15-20 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.