Whether it’s an empanada, a Cornish pasty, or a samosa, there’s something amazing about savory filling tucked into a flaky pie crust that you can hold right in your hand. These oh-so lovable Hand Pies have more of a British slant, and thanks to store bought pie crust and a simple but superbly seasoned ground beef filling they’re as easy to make as they are to enjoy. Think rosemary and thyme seasoned beef and tender potatoes, carrots, and onions in a flaky casing – and it’s all handheld.
Making a pie – any kind of pie – can often seem like quite an undertaking, but that’s not the case with these. They’ll take you maybe ten minutes of prep work and the rest is all oven time. They’re easy enough to make for a quick weekend lunch and they freeze well enough that they’re ideal for meal prep. (Not to mention their handheld nature makes them perfect for picnics and meals on the go.)
Store bought pie crust is maybe not the flakiest option out there, but it does a mighty fine job with these. You’ll just unroll the crust, cut out some rounds and line a jumbo muffin tin. About a quarter cup of the filling goes into each well, and then they get topped with another round of crust and baked until crisp and beautifully golden brown.
The filling is the slightest bit saucy and meaty but broken up with tender veggies and a light herby flavor. It’s exactly what you want a meat filling to be, salty, rich and hearty and here it’s surrounded with the crisp, buttery bite of pie. Delicious!
Ground Beef Hand Pies
10m prep time
25m cook time
- 2 boxes refrigerated rolled pie crusts, (4 crusts total)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and remove crusts from refrigerator. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and onion until no longer pink.
- Add carrots, potatoes, rosemary, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in flour and slowly add beef stock. Cook until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a large biscuit cutter or glass bowl, cut pie crust into rounds that fit muffin tin.
- Press dough into each muffin tin well and fill with 1/4 cup of meat filling.
- Place another round of dough on top of meat mixture and press to seal bottom and top crust. Repeat, should make 8 pies.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Remove pies from oven and brush with egg wash. Return to oven until golden brown, 5-7 minutes more.
- Allow to rest 1 hour before serving if eaten by hand. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Five Mary's Farms.