As the weather starts getting warmer we start looking for recipes that can carry us through the season of BBQ cookouts and pool parties. That means coming up with new, fresh spins on classic side dishes like this one: Greek coleslaw. Now don’t look at this as a replacement for coleslaw (we still love the traditional!), but as a supplemental recipe that can ease some of the burden off the classic by reinventing some of the flavors – this way you can bring something new and interesting to the party, plus, you can throw it together in a matter of minutes! Now that’s what we call a winner.
We thought about making this look a little bit more like your standard Greek salad, what with adding cucumbers or tomatoes, but figured it wouldn’t really be much of a coleslaw if we did that…so we made our main focus the dressing, keeping it as close to a Greek dressing as possible.
That means olive oil, red wine vinegar and plenty of fresh lemon juice to start, along with garlic, oregano, rosemary and thyme. With our cabbage mix, red onion and feta, this dressing gets poured over and everything gets tossed together to perfection.
You can add some sliced peperonicini to your coleslaw if you want a little extra kick in there, but that’s totally up to you and if you feel like the red onion and feta take care of the Greek element for you, then great, you’re good to go!
Serves 8; 15 minutes
- 3 (10 oz.) packages coleslaw mix (with carrots and purple cabbage)
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1/2-2/3 cup feta, crumbled, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- sliced pepperoncini, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon juice, then stir in garlic, oregano, rosemary and thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl and toss in red onion and feta cheese.
- Pour dressing over slaw and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before serving, so flavors have time to blend and build, then transfer to serving bowls and top with more red onion, pepperoncinis, if using, and feta crumbles.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl