No matter the time of year, pasta is a staple in our house. It’s so versatile to tailor to what’s in season and during the summer months that mean veggies! If you’re a gardener yourself you’re likely all too familiar with the plight of swimming in squash and fresh produce late summer. We’re always looking for new dishes that allow a fresh harvest to shine and this Garden Vegetable Lasagna does just that!
Packed with veggies like zucchini, summer squash, carrots, and broccoli, we’re not skimping on the good stuff here. It’s all baked in a homemade cream sauce that compliments the fresh ingredients without overpowering. A cottage cheese mixture bumps up the creaminess even more and adds some protein to boot. No one will be missing the meat in this hearty dish. All in all, it’s the perfect summer dinner!
We love how colorful each slice is making for a beautiful presentation. Serve this dish when entertaining guests and you’re sure to rake in the compliments. If you’re cooking for a smaller crowd the lasagna also makes for amazing leftovers. Pair it with a crisp salad to really double down on the veggies and you’ve got a show-stopping meal on your hands. Give our Garden Vegetable Lasagna a try this summer and we’re sure you’ll love it!
Garden Vegetable Lasagna
30m prep time
45m cook time
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Optional: 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once onions and garlic are fragrant, add carrots and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add zucchini, summer squash, and broccoli and cook until all vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the sauce: In a medium-sized saucepan, add butter and flour. Stirring often, cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and bring mixture to a boil. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, whisking continuously. Remove from heat and mix in salt, pepper, oregano, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese and 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese.
- To assemble: Spread a thin layer of sauce in bottom of prepare baking dish. Place 3 (cooked!) noodles on top of sauce. Spread half the vegetable filling over the noodles, followed by half the cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup of sauce. Top with 3 more noodles and repeat previous layers once more, ending with noodles. Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella and ½ cup parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Allow lasagna to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipegirl.com