I can’t believe how good this home-made classic was!
Orange chicken is one of our favorite Chinese dishes, a staple we order almost every time we get take out. While we used to think it was a dish we could only enjoy from a restaurant, we recently tried our hand at whipping up a quick version at home and were delighted with the results!
With a handful of simple ingredients like chicken, orange juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar, this dish is surprisingly easy to make! It definitely surpassed our expectations of home-cooked Chinese food… this stuff is really good! It’s saucy and tangy and sweet, and the sesame seeds give it a bit of crunch.
We’re super happy to know we can make our favorite dish at home easily — and now you can too!
You can serve it with white or brown rice, or our recipe for fried rice if you’re feeling fancy!
Watch the video to learn how to make it — you’ll be glad you did! (Instructions also written out below.)
Easy Orange Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2/3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- all-purpose flour, as needed
- vegetable or peanut oil, for frying, as needed
- sesame seeds, garnish
- In a large bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, brown sugar and marmalade. Whisk until brown sugar dissolves, then set aside.
- Set up a workstation with a shallow bowl full of at least 3/4 cup flour and a second bowl with beaten eggs.
- Take cubed chicken and dredge it fully in flour. Shake off excess, then dip chicken completely in egg mixture.
- Shake off excess again and re-dredge in flour. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Fill a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven with 2-3 inches of vegetable oil and cook over medium-high heat.
- Test oil by splashing a few water drops into it; if it sizzles, it’s ready.
- Working in batches, carefully drop chicken into oil and cook until coating is golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Toss chicken in orange sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds, then serve with fried rice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer WomanSKM: below-content placeholder