Seasonal Slow Cooker Recipe: Chunky Applesauce
Apples sometimes get pigeon-holed as good for only pies or crisps, but pure and simple applesauce is a dish that we love and want to remind everybody of! Don’t get us wrong– apple pie is one of our favorites, but sometimes applesauce just hits the spot without the need for any frou frou (in the form of a crust or topping).
This is a super family-friendly recipe, where you can all pitch in throwing the different ingredients into the crock pot (delegate the slicing to the older ones, or buy a corer/slicer to make things really easy). Then let the cooker do its thingyou’ll have fresh, amazing applesauce in just a few hours!
Slow Cooker Applesauce
- 10-12 medium apples (of your choice), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- After peeling, coring and slicing apples, place them in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- In a bowl, mix your brown sugar and spices together.
- Place your apples in slow cooker and add in water, sugar and spices. Mix well so that all apples are submersed and coated evenly.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, occasionally mashing down apple chunks with a potato masher.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Turn heat down to low and continue to cook for 2 hours, mashing occasionally.
Recipe adapted from Kiwi CrateSKM: below-content placeholder