Do you ever have those times when you’ve done something one way for such a long time, then one day try it a totally different way and your mind is blown when it far exceeds your expectations? Already it’s a total shift to switch gears and do said thing differently, but when it turns out so much better than you could’ve anticipated, you could kick yourself for not trying it sooner! That’s exactly what happened with this recipe; we’ve been making a creamy chicken Tex-Mex casserole for quite some time now, but by adding crunchy Doritos into the mix, it was an absolute game-changer.
That’s right, we took our go-to, favorite chip and threw it right on into the mix, both under the creamy, spicy chicken filling, and on top of it – don’t skip this, it tastes so good! – the chips perfectly sandwich the filling and give you an over-the-top, completely addictive casserole that will please everyone at the table. All right, now that we’ve sung the praises of the chips here (a gain, don’t you dare skip ‘em) we can get into more detail about the filling. Chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes and green chiles are what give this dish its bulk, plus condensed soup and sour cream for extra creaminess. Taco seasoning amps up the flavor and all of a sudden, you’re in business!
This is a tasty dish that works just as well when it’s thrown together on a weeknight with the family as it does when it’s made for when friends come over. Everyone we know who’s tried it has fallen for it and immediately requested the recipe…once they find out how easy it is, they’re even more hooked! We can’t get enough, clearly, so try it out and see what you think.
Serves 6-8; 40 minutes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) package nacho cheese doritos chips, lightly crushed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (13.25 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (13.25 oz.) can whole corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, grated, divided
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1 tablespoons taco seasoning
- cilantro, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F and light grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, black beans, corn, 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, tomatoes and peppers, green chiles, chicken soup and sour cream. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and mix together until completely incorporated.
- Spread half of your lightly crushed chips into baking sheet, then pour chicken mixture and spread it into an even layer.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and top with remaining doritos and cheese, then return to oven to bake for another 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot, garnished with cilantro, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Dear Crissy