We were looking for a great, simple dinner recipe to enjoy, and what could be simpler than an easy chicken roast? Skin-on chicken thighs ended up being our meat of choice for this dinner because of its rich, flavorful darker meat and that skin which gets beautifully crispy as it cooks.
To flavor our chicken thighs, we turned to some classic herbs: oregano, rosemary and thyme which filled the house with a rich aroma as it cooked. Crushed red pepper added just a little heat to the dish that was offset by the tang of lemon. Best of all, the preparation for this dish was remarkably easy and all in all the dinner was made within half an hour. Keep reading below for this delicious recipe…
Herb Roasted Chicken Thighs
- 1 lemon
- 4 large skin-on boneless chicken thighs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Thinly slice half the lemon and discard any seeds. Cut the remaining lemon half into 2 wedges. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Coat a large, oven-safe skillet with 1 teaspoon oil. Add the chicken skin side down. Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, letting the skin render. Pour off any excess fat to keep a thin coating int the pan until the chicken is cooked halfway through (about 10 minutes).
- Place half the lemon slices over the chicken and half on the bottom of the skillet. Transfer the skillet to the oven, leaving the chicken skin side down. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crisp (6-8 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken pieces and the lemon slices from the bottom of the skillet to a warm platter. Take the lemon slices that were on top of the chicken and place back on the skillet. Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the oregano, rosemary, thyme, shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and mustard. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add wine. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half (about 1-2 minutes). Add the broth and cook until thickened (about 3 minutes). Squeeze 1 lemon wedge into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil. Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up to re-warm. Serve, topped with caramelized lemon slices.
Recipe adapted fromBon AppetitSKM: below-content placeholder