For those days when you want a ridiculously decadent dessert without really going over the top, we’ve got just the recipe for you! These amazing, salted caramel brownie bars look elaborate and impressive, but really, all you have do is spruce up a box mix of chocolate fudge brownies (or make your own from scratch) and call it a day! Using box mix and store-bought caramel candies makes this process way easier, and then you can spend more time sharing, or hoarding, and devouring these brownie bars!
Salted Caramel Hazelnut Brownie Bars
Yield 1, 9×13-inch baking dish
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake or brownie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 (14 oz.) bag caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter and 1/2 cup evaporated milk and mix well.
- Pour 2/3 brownie batter into baking dish and smooth the top so it’s even.
- Place in oven and bake for 11-13 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the caramel candies with remaining evaporated milk and sea salt, stirring until melted and smooth. Make sure caramel doesn’t burn.
- Pour 3/4 caramel sauce over pre-baked brownies, then gently spoon remaining brownie batter on top.
- Sprinkle hazelnuts evenly across the top, then drizzle remaining caramel sauce over everything.
- Return brownies to oven and cook for another 22-24 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center come out mostly free of crumbs.
- Let cool 15 minutes and serve warm or store in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from PillsburySKM: below-content placeholder